Wednesday, March 31, 2010

THE SMOG WARRIOR


On the day I was born into this world, four of our planets were separated from each other by square aspects, 90 degrees apart.  There was one planet in each astrological element; fire, earth, air, and water.  In astrology, this is known as a Grand Cross.  Each sign, represented by a planet's position, contains the same strength of quality, working to nullify it's counterpart.  This effect pulls a person in many directions, generally leading to indecisiveness and inability to produce concrete achievements.  It is said to require extraordinary efforts to overcome the conflict generated in a Grand Cross . . . Those who succeed are known to achieve remarkable personal growth and self-fulfillment.
Los Angeles; 2004.
Green Jeep Wrangler Sahara hauling through the city on the 110 South at 80 miles per hour. 
No top. 
Soundtrack: a blistering electronic dose . . Each night from Pasadena to Redondo Beach . . The skyline, the energy of the city, bright shining lights.  Strong winds.
Smog is invisible when the sun goes down.
I'd just picked up a Fuji 24 speed; the South Bay was too inviting to live long without the freedom of spinning 2 wheels on the bike path along the shore . .
Pacific sunsets.
Midnight rides.
Techno.  Film Score.  Hard Rock.  Push-Ups.  Hip-Hop.  Trance Blues.  Heavy Metal.  Pull-Ups.  Tenacity.
For the first time in my life, I was able to taste the air around me.
I had become The Smog Warrior.
I knew my situation would ultimately prove beneficial in my understanding the way of the world; the fabric of my surroundings. 
I was exploring who I was; where I was.
Seasons dissolved . .  Life without weather . .  Wildfires . .
I developed a feeling that the poor air quality could be transformed from hazardous, to constructive, by building immunity.  My respiratory system would strengthen to help combat the toxic air.  I took pride in the fact that my open-air means of transportation was both unique and extreme.  The way I saw it, no one in the city was taking in oxygen, or pollution, at the same rate, speed, or volume that I was.
Living in the media capital of the world with intent to fill one of the the most coveted positions of all, in a pool of competition, odds against me stacked through the roof . .
During a rough time half-way through my California tenure, an older friend of mine laid the following quote on me: "Christ Benny, you're like me, you see a smooth path between the mountains and choose to head straight into the steepest, most difficult climb over them."
Is it any surprise that after 5 years spinning my wheels, shifting focus from one arena to the next, a calling comes into clear focus, and is possibly the greatest challenge one could imagine?
How do you go about coaxing an entire population to unlearn most information conditioned upon them since birth?  How do you invite someone to revaluate everything they think they know about history, life, Earth, and their nations role in it?  How can you illustrate the necessity of a great awakening in order to fix the planet and protect all its inhabitants?
Just as I've catalyzed smog infected air into respiratory vaccine, my job is to ingest smog-ridden media, and yield pure uncut truth . .
The public, by in large, is in fear of or overwhelmed by, such a potent dose of truth . . it is so different than all they've come to assume as their reality.
It's easy to understand folks; life on our planet can only resume for some time to come if we play an active role in protecting her natural cycles.  The lifestyle we've come to know as "normal" must be reevaluated and adjusted based on a new energy structure and medium.  Oil, natural gas, and all other combustable fossil fuels are made of ancient life . . . Just as manure is rotated from waste to the key component of new food growth, natural resources must too exist in a cycle.  But for generations, they have not. 
These resources are finite.  Presently, our energy use is infinite.
Each person who reads this holds irreplaceable value.  Regardless of your opinions, allegiances, and beliefs, your merit is unmatched.  If I am to supersede the odds and reach the greatest of all accomplishments, you will be principally responsible . . . and deserving of much credit.
It's not easy to remove yourself from the crowd and stand up for what you truly believe in.
The Chronicles have only just begun. 

1 comment:

  1. Good word. This reminded me of the following quote about life within the confines of truth:

    "Once you experience even a few of these "moments of truth," things can never be the same again. Your life veers off in strange new directions. It's very exciting and a little scary. Ideas blossom into obsessions. The imperative to live life differently keeps building until the day it breaks through the surface."

    -Kalle Lasn in the introduction to his book "Culture Jam."

    ReplyDelete